Saturday, August 30, 2008

Call Center Call

Sometimes I get customers who have way too much time on their hands or their lonely. They find the silliest mistake and latch on to it. I got a call like that yesterday. She was complaining about her city on the envelope not being the Metro City, but the suburb she lives in instead. We sent our letters bulk and a machine labels the letters for us. It went something like this.


"Thank you for calling Customer Service. This is Bobbi. How may I help you?"
“This letter you sent me has the wrong city.”
“I apologize for that. If you give me your phone number I can pull up your account.”
“111-2222”
“And you Area Code?”
“99999”
“That your zip code. What is your Area Code for your Phone Number”
“888”
“Thank you. One Moment please while I pull that up. Can I have you verify your name and address?”
“Some One, 31245 Lonely Lane, Any where, US 00000.”
“Thank you. My records show that we have Any Where as the name or your city.”
“That’s Correct. But your letter has Somewhere. Somewhere is on the Post Office Building, but I use Any Where.”
“Are you located in Somewhere’s cities limits?”
“Yes.”
“Then the correct city is Somewhere.”
“But I use Any Where.”
“We have to use the city the Post Office Gives us.”
“They say that they don’t make you use that city.”
“The Post Office has an Official list of cities. On our Envelopes have to have the city the Post Office gives us. Is the letter inside have your city as Any Where?”
“Yes, but the envelope has Somewhere.”
“I do apologize, but we can’t change how the envelopes are addressed.”
“Yes you can. The Post Office Says they don’t make you use Any Where.”
“I do apologize, but the system I’m looking at has Any Where. There is nothing I change do to change the way the envelope is addressed. Is there any else I can help you with?”
“No.”
“Have a wonderful day! And thank you for choosing ____!”

1 comment:

CrouchingOwl said...

Reminds me of a silly incident today. Customer insisted on changing her cell phone rate plan and agent made it effective mid cycle. Then she calls up next month and says why do I have to pay prorated advanced billing? I refuse to pay prorated advanced billing, nobody told me about this. I'll pay my normal amount and no more.

That story manages to make its way past a standard agent, onto a follow up form, and onto my desk. I look at it and I say, prorated billing saved you at least $70 on the plan costs and about $89 on your overages. The real problem is you've got $350 of minute overages!

That's a callback I'm glad the customer didn't pick the phone for, I didn't feel like trying to explain that to an anti proration zealot.